Sunday, 10 March 2013
Really?
You might think I've lost the plot with this card - seeing as the theme for this week's CD Sunday challenge is 'Land of the Pharoahs'. The thing is - when I started thinking about Pharoahs and Egypt I remembered a book I had read by Wilbur Smith called River God. It was about Pharoahs, eunochs, Egyptian princesses, the Nile - and hippopotomi. So that's where I got the idea. In ancient Egypt the goddess of fertility - Taweret - was often depicted as a hippopotamus so I think I can get away with this one.
I made the background with Pan Pastels and then stamped the Judikins Africa cube several times in Ranger Archival Black. The hippopotamus image I downloaded from the internet, cut it out, coloured with Pro Markers and stuck it on with Pinflair glue gel - giving it a well rounded tummy. The greeting is an Elusive images (now Chocolate Baroque)stamp and the backing paper - my CD element - is from Daisy Trail Steampunk Adventures CD.
Last weeks Butterfly them seemed quite popular so let's see if this week's theme is just as popular. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Thank you for visiting today.
Beryl xx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

20 comments:
What a fab idea and I like the card too, well done you!
Jenny xx
Well done on your research Beryl. All is revealed and a super card too. Love the background and the Hippo is great.
Christine xx
I've read the book too Beryl, and this is a great take on the theme. I love the hippo, and the background made with the judikins cube (this is one that I would like for my collection of stamps).
Sue x
Hello Beryl
Oh my word what a stunning and beautiful card. I love the colours
of the pan pastels, the scene is amazing and so life like.
luv
irene
xxxx
Hi Beryl. I have been dying to see your explanation for the hippopotamus and it is a good one. A great very different card. Glad you have the Africa cube. When I last used mine everyone said they regretted not buying it at the time.
Carol xx
Beautifully done Beryl, and yes you can get away with it totally. The colours from the pastels are lovely and she looks quite a cheeky hippo. xx
Its fantastic Beryl I love it! the background is wonderful and I like the hippo
Kevin xx
Really like your background colours and the tree stamps. The hippo is a great image. Hope you are keeping warm. It was soooo cold on the golf course today. :(
What a great reason for this card - I have read that book & know where you are coming from. Off to find my own card now for the challenge. x
Great card Beryl, I've read that book so I know just what you are talking about. Your background is fabulous, perfect for your hippo. Will have to get my thinking cap on this week!
Pauline
x
Hi Beryl
This is really something different and I love it. You know, when i saw you'd done a hippo I believed I'd heard something about the Egyptians and hippo's - now I know! I love the background with the sunset.
Marina
I love it Beryl. Great background for your amazing hippo stamp.
Hi Beryl
That is a fabulous background you have created with your pan pastels .. .. gorgeous colours and great depth too!
I hope you have had a lovely weekend.
Love Jules xx
Great card, love your stamping and that hippopotamus is fab. xx Flora
I've read the book too so can see where you are coming from. Great idea and I love the way you have built it all up. I've been trying to resist going down the pan pastels route but you are tempting me when I see what lovely work you have done with them.
Jocelyn xx
A great card Beryl. Love your background and your Hippopotamus. Hugs x ChrisB
This is a brilliant interpretation of the theme Beryl! Beautifully created too
Ann x
Oh you clever lady Beryl! I would never have thought to use a Hippo for the Land of the Pharaohs theme - I never was very good at ancient history! Your Pan Pastel background is fabulous, and really sets the scene along with the wonderful Judikins stamps.
Hope you have had a happy week - hugs, Sylvia xxxx
Brilliant 'thinking outside the box' Beryl and as a result a smashing card. I used to love Wilbur Smith books but Sun God was a change of style for him and I totally lost interest! I think the first and best of his books that I read was Eagle in the Sky. I stayed up till the early hours to finish it and it had me sobbing, lol! That was about 36 years ago ..... crikey! ;D!
Hugs
Lesley Xx
I totally missed this one Beryl, lovely to see you using Pans and to such great effect along with that JudiKins cube.
B x
Post a Comment